Add Product Filters to Shopify: A Step-By-Step Guide
Updated August 28, 2023.
One of the most important factors behind the success of any Shopify store is adding product filters. This way, your customers can refine their search results and find their intended products faster by applying different criteria, such as product type, size, color, or price. Product filters can therefore help improve the user experience and sales. Here is a step-by-step guide to adding a product filter to your Shopify store.
What Is a Product Filter?
This extremely beneficial navigation tool streamlines your customers' shopping experience because, by simply clicking a few buttons to enable the right filters, they can easily find the right products at their fingertips. For example, if a customer wants to buy a red shirt within a certain price range, they can select the "red" and "price" filters, and the search results will be narrowed down to just red shirts that meet the specific price criteria.
Product filters can also improve the product catalog of your store and increase the visibility of certain products, resulting in a better shopping experience for your customers and higher sales for you.
How to Add the Filters to Your Shopify Store
There are two different processes for adding product filters to a Shopify store: one is for desktop, and the other is for mobile. There are also two types of filters you can add.
- Basic or default filters include options like primary price, vendor, and product type. These filters work with any store, and you can add up to five to your store.
- Advanced or custom filters depend on the type of products you sell, so you'll use your product variants to determine which custom filters you need. You can add up to 20 of these filters to your store.
On Your Desktop
First, you need to check which filters are available to you based in your store theme. Once checked, you have to enable the filters in Navigation. Now, you can start adding filters to your store.
- Go to your Shopify Admin and click on Online Store.
- Click on Navigation and find the section named Collection and search filters.
- Click on the Add filters button.
- You'll see a list of available filters. Select as many as you want.
- Click Done and save to update.
On Your Mobile
Adding product filters to Shopify on mobile is quite easy and very similar to the process on your desktop.
- Install the Shopify app and log in.
- Go to the sales channel section and click Online Store.
- Click on Navigation and find your way all the way down to Collection and search filters.
- Click Add filters, and you'll see a list of available filters.
- Select as many as you want and click Done to save and update.
Importance of Filtering Your Products
Product filtering is an important factor for e-commerce businesses because it not only helps to improve your customers' search experience but also helps to enhance navigation, which ultimately increases your chances of making sales.
Filtering can also be beneficial for your product organization because the more product filters your store has, the more satisfied your customers are with its great look and feel.
Simon Says Automate Your Filters
Overall, product filters are an essential part of online stores that have a large number of products and want their customers to have an extraordinary search experience.
But we know that manually creating filters can take a lot of time and money, especially if a developer is involved. Instead, consider automatically generating filters for your Shopify store. Once generated, these filters are fully customizable, so they can suit your store and brand. Just choose the filters you want to use to drive your store forward.
Learn more about automated filters from Fast Simon on YouTube: